KLM B747-400

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

One the best flat seats in any airline with the worst food experience in business.
    Klm tries to make up with great service but you need to go back to the Laker Airway days and carry your food with you.
    Amsterdam airport has a decent pizza which you can fly with.
    The Indian selection is so poor that the person who cooked it has never been to India or has eaten any indian food.
    On the other hand the continental selection which i had was poor – cous cous and uncooked chicken.
    The dessert tray was average and maybe they should take some help from air France.
    I guess it's not a restaurant but the food still needs to be edible.

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user drgs can be found here

KSHaggag
    Participant

I agree that the food in Business Class on longhaul flights with KLM needs a revamp ;they said they are created by a Celebrity Dutch Chef but i believe they should get back to the basics ( plain European food and simple recipes rather than the fancy inedible dishes ).They do not compare favourably compared to other European carriers including Mami Air France ..On the other hand ,their Business Class cabin at the sharp nose of the 747-400 is the most pleasant and spacious cabin I have flown in and their new seats ( the former ones too ) are pleasantly comfortable .Let me admit that KLM senior crew and ( some juniors too ) are among the most charming and friendliest in Europe.Their senior pursers are great ambassadors for KLM AND the Netherlands alike .

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Agree with comments about latest KLM business class cabins, flew AMS – MEX (B744) last week and was pleasantly surprised with the catering, much better than it used to be. I had a lamb dish for my main course, it was tasty and succulent, looking forward to the return journey

Endorse KSHaggag’s comments about KLM crew, they are invariably friendly and efficient and always seem to have time for a chat if that is. what you want.

I think the revised AF business class on their B777 fleet with herringbone seat layout, all with direst aisle access, are that bit better than the KLM traditional layout, but then you have to factor in the French ATC strikes when transiting CDG

bluemooner
    Participant

Recently flew AF PAR to JNB.
    Food outbound was very good.
    Food inbound atrocious.
    One wonders whether the food is only as good as the departure airport

KSHaggag
    Participant

Sometimes ( mostly with longhaul flights ) ,airlines assign the catering activty to local companies wherever they fly from so one should expect discrepancies but to a certain extent ;airlines are expected to have some control on the quality of meals they order for their passengers and they preset standards to be respected wherever they have no real influence or control but at the end of the day ,they are FULLY responsible for ensuring there is consistency in the services they provide on board regardless the airport of departure .In such case ,I would still blame AF for accepting standards below their requirements .

KSHaggag
    Participant

Although I have not yet sampled the new Business Class cabin concept dubbed ” BEST ” on AF longhaul fleet ( 777-200 & 700-300ER ) ,I still am personally a fan of the KLM 747-400 ( specifically ) cabin layout with the generous amount and general feeling of space that it provides .
    The AF new cabin is still cramped like most new products being adopted by most airlines nowadays in business class cabins under the name of ” privacy ” ..Privacy might be but space definitely not .Cabins nowadays feel cramped and seats in biz class are getting narrower and narrower with lots of (( wasted)) space being used by consoles and barriers and walls ,etc to allow passengers to plunge and hide .To me ,that enhances the sense of claustrophobia.
    In this particular arena I eagerly salute Singapore Airlines ( SQ) for installing sapcioussssssssssssss seats ( the largest in the industry ) to make up for the general feeling of lack of space in the cabin given the cocooning approach adopted .
    Thank you KLM for making the 747-400 ( specifically ) a different ,really different aircraft from what we have on offer nowadays although the 747-400 is rather old ..it is still the “Grande Dame ” !!
    KLM new seats are great but the cabin on the 747-400 is still more spacious than its counterparts 777-200 on KLM ..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls