Iberia A330

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

Flight 6123: Madrid Barajas (MAD) – Miami International Airport (MIA)

Date: 03/22/2015

Arrival at Airport:

Iberia has one of the best check in areas for their premium cabin, in the sense that they have many people working the counters which makes it a very speedy process, the people at the counter worked quickly and efficiently. After check in I approached Iberia's Fast Track security check point which also went smoothly. Their Fast Track Check in has 4 different lines, therefore there is no wait time. The security agents are very friendly polite unlike most TSA agents in the U.S whom think they rule the airport.

The best thing about this security as well as most european security check points is that they don't make you take off your shoes which allows for a faster transit.

Airport Lounges:

Madrid Barajas is Iberia's hub airport and host 2 lounges. There is one located right after the security check point located in the domestic departure terminal of the airport (T4). This is personally my favorite lounge. It has a wide variety of food, coffees and teas as well as a business center, showers and a rest area with beds. I also like it because it is separated from the general public which adds to the luxurious experience of flying in a premium cabin. Both lounges are hosted and managed by Melia, a very popular hotel chain based in Spain, and they really serve to my expectations, which is very difficult. lol

The second lounge is located on the international departure terminal of the airport (T4s). This lounge is very nice and well equipped with food, beverages and wines, a business center but it does not have a relaxation area with beds. This lounge has a great panoramic view of the runways which adds a nice touch to the flying experience. I would say that the only negative comment of the lounge is its location. It is situated in the middle of the T4s terminal's Duty Free meaning it is a very crowded area.

Madrid Barajas has to be one of the best equipped airports. It includes over 15 restaurants including Starbucks, McDonalds, Mas Que Menos (my personal favortie), and many other well know coffee shops. Aside from food, you will also find a variety of stores like Zara, Hermes, Tous, Hugo Boss, Carolina Herrera and many others.

Boarding:

All flights to the U.S leaving from Spain must go through a second security check point which is located right before the boarding gates, located all the way at the end of the terminal therefore you must plan according when you leave the lounge because it takes a good 10 minutes to get there walking.

Once past the check point, boarding went smoothly. Iberia likes to use 2 fingers for boarding, one for business class and the other for economy which allows for a quicker and smoother boarding as well as a more exclusive experience for business class Passengers.

On Board Experience:

Once on board, I was offered cava (Champagne), juice and water; as usually I went with the champagne. Iberia does not do a good job with offering drinks between taxi and meal service so I went ahead and ordered 2 cups of cava and 2 cups of water.

The purser soon came around before taxi and introduced himself and took my dinner order. The options were:

Starters:

-Hot bread and extra-virgin olive oil.

-Gazpacho with egg.

-Duck Liver terrine with passion fruit jam.

-Glazed apples.

-Fresh leaves and raspberries salad – choice of Balsamic vinegar of Pedro Ximenez vinaigrette.

-Garrote cheese with grapes.

-Mixed Greens with Julienned Red and Yellow Peppers – lime yogurt dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

-Assorted breads

Entrees:

-Roast suckling lamb with red wine sauce – spicy mashed potatoes and couscous with vegetables and raisins

-Buttered codfish with biscayan sauce – mashed potato with green beans

-Mushrooms pancerotti with tomato and basil sauce

Desserts:

-Chocolate and citrus fruits ice cream with crispy wafer

-Cheese and cream (Cheesecake) caramel tartlet

Iberia has done a phenomenal job with there revamp both seat wise as well as with their food. The starter is very complete and everything is delicious. I believe it is First Class quality, the only difference is that it is all brought in one sitting but it is not over whelming. I ate the Roast Suckling Lamb which was 10/10 and I don't eat dessert to stay in shape, but they looked awesome.

The service was great during the meal service and I felt as if I were flying in first class once again. Everything is served in nice elegant carts, except the entree which is brought out one by one.

These are the wines that where offered

Wines:

-Condado De Haza Reserva 2010 14.5% Alc (Red)

-Baron de Ley Finca Monasterio 2010 14% Alc (Red)

-Carabal 2007 14.5% Alc (Red)

-Abadia de San Campio Albarño 2012 12.5% Alc (White)

-Pronto Verdeo 2013 13% Alc (White)

Post-Lunch:

After lunch lights went out and bottles of water where handed out. The IFE system was great with plenty of new movies and T.V shows. I watched a movie while I was eating so that I can sleep for the rest of the flight.

I managed to sleep 4 hours out of the 11 hour flight. Once I awoke I went to the self-service bar which included wine, juices, sandwiches and other snacks. A couple of hours later the pre-arrival meal was served.

Pre-arrival Meal:

-Iberico fam and chorizo sausage, chicken breast and cheese.

-Tomato and extra-virgin olive oil.

-Seasonal fresh fruit.

-Coffee and herbal

Amenity Kit included: Products from L'Occitane Paris, Chap stick, eye covers, socks, a pen, hand cream, moisturizer and tissues.

Overall Rating:

Airport and Lounge: 10/10

Boarding: 10/10

Food: 9/10

Service: 10/10

Seat: 9/10

Bed and Amenities: 9/10

Bathrooms: 9/10

IFE: 10/10

Overall: 9.5/10

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user social_rover can be found here

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Great review Social_rover…

Why was the flight so long.. 11 hours from MAD to MIA..?

social_rover
    Participant

The flight is usually 10 hours long. I have had flights from Madrid to Miami that have been 13.5 hours due to bad weather which made us fly over canada then down the east coast. But yes it is unusual for the flight to last so long.

social_rover
    Participant

I will be flying the MIA – MAD route MAD – MIA in mid july and will be posting the videos of the journey on my youtube channel: Social Rover

I will also be reviewing Turkish Airlines A330-200 business class and will also upload the videos to my channel: Social Rover as well as on my website socialrover.net

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Nice website social-rover.. Happy travels and a big welcome to this wonderful Forum….

Have signed up for your news letter..

social_rover
    Participant

No but i will now thanks!

icenspice
    Participant

What will you be doing now social_rover?

Look forward to more of your reviews.

social_rover
    Participant

Thanks!! @icenspice i will be flying MIAMI to MSDRID on Iberia then MADRID ISTANBUL with Turkish airlines business class. Very soon!

icenspice
    Participant

Pues me alegro. Disfruta!

Swissdiver
    Participant

The second lounge is located on the international departure terminal of the airport (T4s). This lounge is very nice and well equipped with food, beverages and wines, a business center but it does not have a relaxation area with beds. This lounge has a great panoramic view of the runways which adds a nice touch to the flying experience. I would say that the only negative comment of the lounge is its location. It is situated in the middle of the T4s terminal’s Duty Free meaning it is a very crowded area.

For the record, the lounge at T4S (Velasquez) has a relaxation area. It is located to the left of the entrance when coming in the lounge.

social_rover
    Participant

I fly this route almost every single month and have never seen it. I believe you are think about the Salvador Dali lounge which does have it. On many instances I have asked the staff if they have a relaxation area, and for the past 4 years I’ve flown this route they have all responded with a no. I will be traveling this route July 23, I will write again and confirm that for you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls