Dramatic Footage of Aftermath of BA Hijack in 2000

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

An interesting article in the Telegraph, about the attempted hijacking incident on a Gatwick-based BA 747 circa 2000, with footage not previously released:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/9166820/Aftermath-of-attempted-British-Airways-hijacking-caught-on-video.html

This occured before the advent of 9/11 and increased cockpit security. Happened over Kenya, I think, and was seen off by the Captain intervening from his rest bunk.

He is featured in the video, and looks very calm after what must have been a shocking event. The aircraft fell 10,000 feet and was at serious risk of breaking up.

Apparently, the pilot was former RAF, and his knowledge of recovering aircraft from such dives was invaluable.

Shows the old Club World Cradle Seats in the Upper Deck.

watersz
    Participant

remarkable composure

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think the report is remarkable in that it has been kept under wraps for so long. I have just goggled the incident and whilst there are reports, there is not much about it.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hats off to the Captain. To go through that and still be so cool and calm takes tremendous professional skill I think.

What continues to worry me though, as we all get older, is how may pilots coming through flying school today have had the sort of real hands on training that many of the older and now retiring pilots have had and could deal with that sort of situation?

BeckyBoop
    Participant

The capt has to look and act cool because otherwise it would be worse for all pax. I wonder how much combat training they give cabin and flight crew these days to handle situations like this? x

Hippocampus
    Participant

You know you’re in safe hands with a BA flight crew.

FirstFleeter35
    Participant

Amazing footage, looking back, it is hard to believe the flight deck door was rarely locked, I feel so much safer now having the door reinforced and always locked, with cameras to identify the crew. An Extremely traumatic event for the passengers and crew, it was a VERY close call that day, the captain’s flying skills saved the day!

VintageKrug
    Participant

While the hands on training of an exRAF pilot is hard to beat, I would imagine that the simulator training offered nowadays is far superior, such that scenarios never before dreamt of can be incorporated into the training.

The BA38 incident can, for instance, be replayed for new captains, and we passengers can hear it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJeEl0-1sjM

I recall that the RAF has recently laid off quite a number of (trainee) pilots with fast jet experience, and I’m sure a fair few will end up with UK based airlines:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8962675/Fighter-pilots-on-the-RAF-slow-track-Too-many-trainees-for-RAFs-fast-jets.html

esselle
    Participant

I am not sure that pilot training involves techniques in wrestling nutters to the ground, but do know that the commander of the aircraft in question was a keen rugby player, which I suspect helped a lot.

watersz
    Participant

I think this scenario was unusual due to the mental issues the person had and wasn’t armed in this case , most hijackings involve calculated plots were the captain ius given an ultimatuim .

The last similar incident I can clearlly remember was a pax with mental isuues killing the captain of a japanese 747. In that case the captain tried his best to talk the man down calmly . alas to no avail

As the hijacker insisted on wanting to fly the 747 under rainbow bridge in Tokyo harbour ( as he had done in his video game simulator)

amamnyny
    Participant

I was on this flight and the skills and poise of the pilots were life saving. What I recall him saying in a completely out of breath,had just been in a fight for his and all our lives, was ‘a mad man had tried to crash the plane, he has been restrained, everything will be ok’. As I was seated in the main cabin -this was our first information of what had happened – we had not known it had been highjacked and I assumed engine failure. In this very short phrase the pilot showed incredible presence of mind and communicated everything we needed to know at that time. It is impossible to thank this man for saving our lives. I learned a lot from this video and now over a decade later, I am able to share it with my daughter who was only 5yrs old (and thankfully not with me) at the time. What I’ve remembered in terms of flying is the strength and abilities of an aircraft in the most turbulent and violent of conditions. If it is possible and you have the skills of these pilots, an aircraft can pull out of some incredibly dire situations. I was there and while long ago, I will never forget those moments. Thank you for sharing this video.

jayjay007
    Participant

rferguson
    flight 93 -they did loose their lives,but saved many more

pls don’t missunderstand me -from my personnal experience with LH,the only agressivness by the crew is towards the pax…who pay their salaries by flying their airline…I NO LONGER USE LH!

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

timothy222 – 09/01/2013 17:07 GMT
    If true, is it really appropriate to put airline security training and policy into the public domain. When the press ask security questions to airlines, airports etc then spokespeople often reply along the lines of “We don’t comment on our security policy”, to avoid giving insights to those people who may be looking to misuse such information.

I would prefer not to know how crew have been trained, or not trained, to react to a hijacking. If I know then a potential hijacker could know too.

NFeldberg
    Participant

Its not really a secret. Some airlines in the U.S do briefly instruct crew members ( mainly flight attendants) on basic hand to hand combat techniques, but its nothing more than what they trained for prior to 9/11. The biggest change was the FFDO program which allowed pilots to carry guns in the cockpit. The program has very strict guidelines and requirements. As a passenger, you will never know if your pilot is part of the FFDO program as you will never know if your flight has an air marshal on board. In my opinion, the best weapon of defense in the event of a hijacking are the passengers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls