Christmas 2014

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• Anonymous

JohnHarper
    Participant

Well it’s nearly here and I hope it means a break for everyone. For me it has been a very busy year. As a company we did not suffer badly with the recession but since mid-year business has boomed keeping everyone on their toes and I can’t quite believe how well we have done and on a really positive note for the first time in a couple of years we have been able to take on a few more people which is always good and I think we may now take on a few more.

The year has taken me to places in Europe where I never thought we would do business including Poland where I loved the energy and the vibrancy, new business in Turkey and more recently Malta. Further afield we have continued to do well in the Gulf. central, east and south east Asia as well as Australia and New Zealand. We have also just broken into the South American market with contacts in Chile and Brazil, that’s very new for us and very exciting.

My travel over the year has taken me to most of those places and I’ve clocked up a record, for me at least number of miles. I have one more trip to make this year to Germany which remains a significant part of our business and then the year’s travelling is over.

As ever Mrs JH has preparations for Christmas well under way with drinks and supper parties planned with precision and then there will be a record number which I believe is twenty six on Christmas day. I believe I’m spending Christmas Eve peeling sprouts as usual but do you know, I’m looking forward to it!

On 28th December we are leaving on what has become our annual holiday in Australia where we will catch up with friends and continue to tour the coast independently. This year it is Brisbane up to Cairns which I’m looking forward to.

We get back from that trip on 23rd January and will have a mad couple of weeks as everything we want to take to Cyprus will be packed up and from 7th February we will be resident there for the foreseeable future and all the excitement that will bring. I’m so looking forward to the mild rather than freezing winter.

Anyway, thank you everyone for another year of good quality information and excellent chat. This forum has improved no end in the course of the year and while it has not gone completely the level of nasty abuse has been massively curtailed.

Whatever you are doing Mrs JH and I wish you our best and we look forward to a properous and productive 2015 for all.

MrMichael
    Participant

Happy Xmas to you and Mrs JH John. While in Oz, may I recomend a place I lived for a short while, Coolum Beach, about 90 minutes north of Brisbane on the Sunshine Coast. The lifesavers club there (my old club) does probably the best Steaks in the area. A great club, great food and awesome views across the Pacific and up the coast. Have a great time, I myself am back there in February.

peter19
    Participant

Nearly here indeed – another year that has passed really quick. Its good to hear that’s its been busy for you John and also the excitement of travel taking you to some new places.
    I’m sure you will love Cyprus, i did see they had a snowfall recently in the Troodos if you are a skier. I have been many times mainly down in Kato Paphos area but have been all over and had family friends staying in Limassol so often had a trip there too. Cyprus has changed a lot though in recent years.

I was looking back this year and have done 27 flights with a good mix of personal and Business trips. My highlight on business was going back to Maine after a 2 year gap – its a nice part of the states and was good to see some colleagues again.
    My next trip now is towards the end of Jan to Australia which is a first for me so looking forward to that. Meanwhile its time on the ground and no flying over Xmas.

Thanks also to everyone on the forum for knowledgeable information and the chat and I wish you all the best for 2015…

BigDog.
    Participant

Good thread John thanks.
    Yes indeed a very happy Christmas and Seasons Greetings to all.

It does appear to start earlier with lights and ads appearing in November however it also appears to pass quicker plus “Christmas” being replaced with a more secular Xmas.

For those currently in the 55-65 age bracket – I was recently informed average life expectancy is 86men 89women – so I’ll be needing to bolster the pension and get out of cruise mode for a few years probably resulting in more travel.

Yes the forum is a more pleasurable place.

May your adventures be big and queues be small. Have a great 2015.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

Tough year in the middle of a brutal system implementation.

This has also meant a good bit of flying. Personal highlight was first time to NZ and Oz – flying down on SQ. Longest but also best trip of the year!

Happy holidays to everyone…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A very Happy Christmas to you as well John and I hope 2015 will be as good for you and indeed for us all.

My year had been kind to me as well thanks to a stock market that’s done well for me as well as rising property prices and low interest rates. Despite rising property prices I’ve still managed to pick up a few bargains and some of my best performers have been Easyjet and IAG even though i never fly with them, apart from the odd BA flight that is.

We’re off to Gondwana game reserve into our just finished house for Christmas and New Year then off to the Mount Nelson in Cape Town for two weeks relaxing by the pool and catching up with our friends.

For the record I managed 60 flights this year, and have flown the equivalent of 3.25 times around the world having spent 8.15 days in the air!!!

K1ngston
    Participant

And a very merry Xmas to you John and to Mrs JH also! It has indeed been a hectic year, where I moved from my base in the Caribbean back to AsiaPac which was indeed a highlight, I have had the busiest year for flights and like LP I have made almost 80 flights 5 times around this wonderful globe and have maintained the highest status on, BA, Virgin Australia and SQ.

For Xmas I spend 10 days in the cold of the UK before heading back to Asia where we have opportunities in Bangladesh, Cambodia and Vietnam to keep us busy…

To everyone a very happy Christmas and a peaceful and prosperous 2015

K

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thank you John and all for your good wishes. Although I have the feeling Christmas is still far (in London this week, then a hop home for the week-end then Dubai, then another hop home then up to the mountains for a well earned Christmas week with the family), I wish you all a wonderful Christmas!

The first half of this year was pathetic but almost compensated by a crazy run that started in August. Since September 1st, I’ve flown 50’000nm (with no very long haul flight – Longest leg was MIA-LHR). Exhausted I am.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Great topic John and thank you for starting it.

I will be at home with the family in North as usual this Christmas and I’m very much looking forward to it.

I have one more long haul trip to make to the gulf early next week, thank goodness for the QR service from EDI, it has simplified my travel to that region so much and now that the new DOH airport is functioning well it’s a pleasure.

Anyway, best wishes to one and all and the best of luck for 2015.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Happy Christmas to one and all.

I’m returning to the UK but not until 23rd December which is later than I would have liked but needs must. I’ve had to plan with military precision and I’m just hoping all the deliveries arrive as they should.

I’ve had a busy year having relocated from Hong Kong to Singapore. It has taken a little getting used to but I’m settled now and enjoying life. I miss living in Stanley and Singapore doesn’t quite have an equivalent.

I’ve missed flying Cathay but am getting used to SQ and now have PPS status which does make a difference.

Good luck and success to all for 2015.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Seems like a few of us have had a hectic 2014.
    Since December 2013, I have been back to back, UK to North America more or less every 2 weeks followed by a trek internally in the USA and Canada involving some very early starts and late arrivals – arrived PHI last night at Midnight after leaving my hotel in Salt Lake at 0600.
    This week for example,
    MAN to PHI
    PHI to TPA
    TPA to MIA
    MIA to BOS
    BOS to PHX
    PHX TO SLC
    SLC TO PHX
    PHX TO PHI
    and tonight, headed home – PHI to MAN

A hop, skip & jump over to Denmark next week then home for Christmas.

Begin the whole North America thing again on January 4th.

Merry Christmas everyone.

thecartoonman
    Participant

I cannot hope to travel nearly as much as some of you, but ALL your entertaining reports have kept me amused throughout 2014.

I hope to read many more again in 2015 and I do enjoy JH’s, which have a marvellous flow to them and almost make you feel you were in his top pocket.

A festive 2014 to ‘one and all’

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Happy Christmas everyone!

This thread made me add up the nmber of flghts this year.

101 so far! Two more this week coming, so 103 total for 2014…..

BigDog.
    Participant

A seasonal bump

but also to include for Airliner aficionados, the DTs pictorial of the most influential airliners of all time….

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/10971394/The-most-influential-airliners-of-all-time.html?frame=3145283

any additions?

And the DT’s travel quiz of the year, with a prize. Not business related and of course no answers…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-competitions/11308115/Travel-quiz-of-the-year-2014-win-a-luxury-Nile-cruise.html

Wishing you have a peaceful, happy and healthy Christmas and 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls