Cellars in the Sky 2014

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

esselle
    Participant

There are some super wines here, and many interesting choices.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/cellars-2014

I am, however, a bit nonplussed by how the judging works.

BA win gold in the “Best Business Class White” category. They are not nominated in any of the other categories for J class wines, but are then awarded the top spot in the “Best Business Class Cellar”.

Can somebody help me understand how this happens?

Dear esselle,

The way the judges arrived at the winners for the Best Cellar awards are based on averages of the overall marks awarded for each of the wines submitted in each category.

The feature in our March issue explains: “Each airline could enter two reds, two whites, a sparkling and a fortified or dessert wine from both their business and first class cellars.

“Wines were scored out of 100, with award-winning ones rated between 93 and 97, and anything under 75 deemed undrinkable.

“To calculate the Best First and Business Class Cellar awards, we took the average mark of an airline’s red, white and sparkling wines. For the Best Overall Cellar, we took all scores into account.”

BA won Best Business Class White, and although did not get shortlisted in the other Business Class categories, did score highly enough in each to win the Best Business Class Cellar award.

I hope that answers your question.

esselle
    Participant

Thanks BT

I haven’t flown BA J for many years and I do remember the white burgundy on board then as being pretty nice, so good to see they are keeping the standards up.

Those that serve the Montrachets and above know what a good white wine is all about.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m a bit disappointed, was looking for the best wine to make a spritzer category.
    On a serious note, there is a huge debate that airline wine tasting/judging is flawed if you’re not replicating the drinking conditions at 37.000 ft
    Having said that, I’m not a connoisseur …..as long as it’s not that Benedictine wine from Devon I’ll have a go !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls