BA Gatwick B777-200 fleet upgrade anytime?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

YellowBelly
    Participant

Does anyone know if the BA fleet of B777-200s used out of Gatwick for the Caribbean route will get cabin upgrades anytime soon? I have used these flights in the past when the cabins were relatively new but have recently read threads suggesting they are now tired and outdated.
    Will BA update the cabins to the LHR levels or maybe replace these planes as the newer B787 and A350s arrive?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

They’ve got years of life in them, those interiors 😉

BA744fan
    Participant

As Gatwick is used for long haul leisure destinations I’m afraid it comes a poor second to the Heathrow fleet in terms of investment in updates. I beleive the 4 class 777s had a refresh recently but I am not aware of any plans to upgrade the 3 class fleet.

As for retirement and replacement, the oldest 777 in the fleet is coming up to its 20th birthday and many are 15 or younger so I imagine BA will squeeze every mile they can out of them before starting to pension them off.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Well it is not just the LGW 777s that are in need of some updating, some of their, or at least one, of their LHR ones need some treatment as well.

I have flown 772s in the past year that were nicely upgraded, but the 772 to BKK had the old, Y+, the old Y, and the pretty rubbish selection of Inflight Entertainment throughout, including J where I was.

What was noticeable however, is how comfy and spacious the BA 777 economy was compared to the 788, which was the last long haul flight I went on. Passengers looked FAR more relaxed, and I remember thinking the 777 lot would be much more likely to choose BA again.

So lets just hope that any LGW refurb does not result in “new upgraded,slimline (10 across ) seating…” and simply catches most of the LHR fleet which has pretty decent products (BA J is for a separate discussion).

FDOS you made me chuckle again…

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

YellowBelly, be careful for what you wish. At the July 31 half yearly results presentation for IAG, Keith Williams CEO of BA confirmed that they were looking at going 10 abreast on the 777 – 200 fleet in Y. After all if there rivals can get away with it then the return on investment will win out sometime soon. The quid pro quo may be an update in the IFE with the new lighter weight seating that inevitably comes with it too, perhaps another row or two as well?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Both KLM and Air New Zealand are in the process of reconfiguring their B777-200s for 10-abreast seating.

Let’s hope BA doesn’t follow.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101041/klm-revamps-b777-economy-seating

SimonS1
    Participant

If it’s Gatters you are talking 2020 at least. There is duct tape in store that needs using first.

Remember the old 737s have only just about been phased out – rumour was Antiques Roadshow were doing a live recording.

openfly
    Participant

Last LGW 737 flight is to TRN on the 30th Sept. Sad…best CE seats , A and C.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ FDOS_UK – 04/09/2015 09:19 BST

This reminds me of my British Airtours days when Dan-Air used to operate a B707 whose registration ended in Sierra Lima. The plane carried the nickname “Sick Lil” because of the peculiar and particular habit she had of dripping condensation internally. Presumably some kind of problem with the insulation inside the aircraft hull that Dan-Air never felt the need to fix…

passionateflyer
    Participant

6 months on and still no news on plans for the Gatwick 3 class 777s to be refurbished. Considering booking on the new Cape Town flights from Gatwick but very hesitant about going on those planes. A worn uncomfortable interior makes for a miserable 12 hour flight. Anyone got any news?

Derek1948
    Participant

Just arrived back from Tampa on an old Club 777-200. Usual old poor seats and the new “cheap” champagne. However the flight attendants were the best I’ve had as long as I can remember on a BA flight. Friendly, chatty and great service. Could the fact that they were all fairly new to the job, oldest was 10 months service, have something to do with it?
    Also new lounge at TPA, so much better than the old one.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Last time I flew a Virgin from Gatwick there was duct tape over an unusable table in Upper. Both airlines are in desperate need of a business class refresh…

TheLion
    Participant

Any update on this yet anyone? May be doing a Nicaragua trip after NYE so the Costa Rica flight is an option.

Cheers
    The Lion

YellowBelly
    Participant

The FlyerTalk Forum is stating “Cabin retrofit commencing Jan 2018. Starting with G-VIIX/R/T/U/V/P/O”.
    See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1476013-ba-fleet-new-aircraft-arrivals-retirements-master-tracker.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls