BA A380 Destinations

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

• Anonymous

Westlake501
    Participant

With the BA A380s going to Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Washington and Singapore what will be the next new destinations?

I’d like to see a A380 going to Houston. There are plenty of business travellers to fill CW but not sure if there is enough demand to fill WT.

Otherwise India, Japan and China could be strong options.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I would hope that India would be on the list soon, given SIA’s proposed A380 services to Mumbai/Delhi.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100418/sia-to-inaugurate-a380-service-to-india

China is a possible (depending on the UK-China ASA) but I wouldn’t have thought Japan would not feature at the present time. Why ? Because the trend is now for the European carriers to operate into HND which, at present, cannot handle the A380.

LH, for example, is routing its FRA-NRT A380 flight via ICN this summer (which increases the flying time) and concentrating on HND.

canucklad
    Participant

For purely selfish reasons I’d like to see BA try it out on the YVR route.

By all accounts the 747 flights are full or nearly full !

I was also going to suggest the kangaroo route, alas even with the 380 they would still be 2nd best to the other 380 operators.

Stick to routes where it’s a differentiator.

BusinessBabble
    Participant

Cape Town – winter schedule change the 2 x 747’s to an A380.

SimonS1
    Participant

Cape Town cannot handle A380s.

FirstTraveller
    Participant

I like to see the A380 fly to SFO

BusinessBabble
    Participant

True, but ACSA are due to start work in 2014 at CPT to upgrade and provide a longer runway which’ll accommodate the A380.

SimonS1
    Participant

…..and the work will take 3 years to complete.

http://futurecapetown.com/2013/03/bigger-cape-town-international-airport-runway-expected-to-start-construction-at-end-of-2014/#.U0hNvZK9KK0

The OPs question was about the “next new destinations”. CPT will not be one of them.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

Miami – already served 2 or 3 times a day by BA with a mix of 747 + 777 depending on the season, plus AA twice a day. Therefore quite a substantial route and also plane efficient, can be done within a 24 hour cycle, no great wasted downtime or need to interweave schedules with a second destination eg LAS and HKG, the former taking over 24 hours to cycle, the latter near 36 hours. And MIA has a substantial First and Club patronage that is now under threat from AA’s improving offer.
    Chicago has the same attractions and is subject to competition from United and Virgin/Delta at least in the summer season.

BusinessBabble
    Participant

3 more years of the Low-J 747’s to CPT then!

Westlake501
    Participant

Miami and Chicago would both seem likely options.

What about JFK or does frequency trump capacity?

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Miami is one of BA’s A380 priorities.

However, the terminal BA is (temporarily) using is not currently able to accept the A380, which is why BA is using it on the Washington route initially.

MIA’s mafia-controlled airport is even more unresponsive than formerlyBAA at Heathrow; but I understand the airport has finally got around to upgrading gates D1 and D2 so BA MIA A380 service is months not years away now.

Hopefully this change will also see BA back in its mothballed MIA lounge at the old A/new D concourse.

Panda01
    Participant

Everyone want the a380 to fly to more places, but the problem is that BA wont buy more a380. If BA bought more a380, I would like to see it fly to Tokyo and to Australia, and not just Sydney, but include melbourne.

rferguson
    Participant

The issue with the A380 is not just sending it to an airport able to accommodate an A380, nor sending it to a destination where all the seats can easily be sold. It’s also about sending it to destinations that will see a demand for it’s premium seats – 14F, 97J and 55W.

It’s worth remembering that Washington DC wasn’t on anyones radar when that was announced and caught nearly all of us by surprise.

My guess for next destination would be IAH, DFW, GRU, MIA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls