BA 747 First – Seats 4EF or 5EF for companions?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Dan1234
    Participant

I am travelling on a BA 747 in first with my fiancee next year. I have read posts which suggest going with, for example, 1AK for companions.

However, we have settled on choosing either 4EF or 5EF. I had selected 4EF, but read that these seats are a bit exposed, so am now veering towards 5EF. Apart from any potential galley noise, are there any drawbacks to 5EF vs. 4EF. I assume 4EF and 5EF seats are equally close together?

Gold-2K
    Participant

You are right, 4EF are a bit exposed . I would go for row 5 as, although closer to the galley, the seats are more enclosed around the feet and feel more spacious. However when I am travelling with the other half we go for 1A/1K as they are close enough to be able to have a conversation and much quieter than rows 4 and 5. Although there is a wardrobe in the nose between 1A and 1K it is not used much in flight so shouldn’t cause an issue.

Ideally however if you want middle seats, try and fly on a 777 or even better an A380, much nicer cabin than the old “classic” 747, some of which still have old (antique) first!

Dan1234
    Participant

Thanks, very helpful. I have now selected 5EF. I assume it doesn’t make a difference that it’s a day flight, rather than a night one for the selection

Tim2soza
    Participant

5 is better on the 747. Gold-2K is correct. If you can get a flight with a 777 / A380 seat pair, they have much more personal space than the 747. Old First however is now sold as Club world.

Unless you are both Gold BAEC, you won’t be able to book the 1AK pair until 24 hours out.

Dan1234
    Participant

Thank you both. Unfortunately stuck with 747 on SFO route, for now…

Tim2soza
    Participant

LAX and bounce gets you the A380. Beautiful views over the bay area as you fly into SFO.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Am I right in my recollection that just in front of 4E/F there is a sort of bar/self service area where the crew leave water and fruit for the F passengers?

Tim2soza
    Participant

Not in new first on the 744. I’ll take a photo tomorrow and post it up.

esselle
    Participant

LP

Quite correct in old first. They used to “hang” newspapers over the front of the seat unit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls