787 DREAMLINER DELAY TO BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)

• Anonymous

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Good Morning.
    The delay to the 787 Dreamliner announced today will it affect BA’s travel plans? I would be interested to hear from VK and other BA Premier Tier members who fly regularly with them, and maybe in the know.
    Thanks and Happy Flying!

BA744fan
    Participant

There has been no official announcement to say there are any delays so BA should still receive their first 787 in May, with a further 3 to be delivered by the end of 2013.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Well, Norwegian was supposed to be taking delivery of its first B787 in late April.

And Boeing has “alerted a possible delay in delivery” to Norwegian.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/pressroom/norwegian/pressrelease/view/boeing-alerts-possible-delay-of-norwegian-s-first-787-dreamliner-835272

Isn’t BA taking delivery of its first B787 just a week or later ?

BA319131
    Participant

At this point in time Boeing are still building 787’s as per plan.

If the planes remain grounded then BA nor any other airline, will be able to take delivery.

In some respects BA are in a good position to withstand delays as the existing 767 fleet are not due up off lease.

TUI on the other hand have a fleet of leased 767’s which the 787’s are due to replace soon, not sure how much slack they have should the groundings go on for any length of time.

craigwatson
    Participant

Even after the grounding is lifted, there are going to be knock on effects… going to take awhile to rebuild public perception of safety…

Im a commercial pilot and to be fair, would I take my family on a 787, in the first few months after it starts flying again…. probably not. Depends on what happens in the next few weeks. I would rather have them find something and redesign, than say ” we have tested, and found no problems with the design”.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

It’s a big year for BA with deliveries

– 4 x 787s
    – 3 x A380s
    – 2 x 777-300s
    – 6 x A320s

I gather the same delivery schedule will follow in 2014, too.

I assume we will start to see those knackered old mid-J 747s (with Old First) being withdrawn!

BA744fan
    Participant

As BA own their 767s, and 14 of the 21 have been or are scheduled to be refurbished, any delay in 787 entry into service should have minimal impact.

The 7 remaining 767s which are not going to be refurbished may have to be utilised for a while longer if there are any delays on 787 delivery.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for being so honest there Craig. I agree with you and personally prefer to wait at least a year after a plane has been put into commercial operation before I or my family will fly on it. The year for the 787 for me will start once it regains it Certtificate of Airworthiness!

Shame, as I was looking forward to flying on it.

stevescoots
    Participant

I have flown QR dreamliner and really enjoyed it. As long as Boeing can say they found the issue, what it was and whats been done to fix it then I would have no problem jumping strait back on one

Shanwick1249
    Participant

Do not underestimate the scale of the problem Boeing faces here. This is a design process and certification failure with no precedent. It will not be enough for Boeing to say ‘Oh we’ve fixed it’ – the NTSB has made that very clear. When a fix is found – and remember, we still have no idea what’s actually going wrong – Boeing will have to “demonstrate”, in the words of the NTSB, that the problem really has been solved.

Now, supposedly, Boeing did this already when the design was certified in the first place. But with the NTSB holding very firm to its position that that whole process was flawed, proving it has been done properly a second time will be immeasurably more difficult. Boeing and the FAA are in a big hole.

I would not be surprised if no fare-paying passengers fly on a 787 for the rest of this year.

BA744fan
    Participant

Interesting assessment Shanwick1249. Very serious consequences for the 787 supply chain as Paine Field will become a carpark and if Boeing run out of storage space they will have to slow down or even stop production.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi BA744fan,
    You replied to my comment yesterday, but I do not know where you are located. At present, I am on the USA west coast, and we heard a news interview from Seatlle.. What you are hearing in the UK, is maybe not the whole story, and I tend to agree with Shanwick1249 this could be serious for Boeing and their customers! Enjoy your weekend BA744fan!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’m not concerned about any delay; the A380 is far more important to BA commercially than the 787, and interim capacity (often funded gratis by Boeing) is easily sourced.

I’d expect it’s easiest for them to lease another brace of 777-300ERs to make up for the delay, which is no bad thing.

We may indeed see more 777-300ERs for BA in addition to the two recently ordered.

BA744fan
    Participant

VK – more 777-300s? Is this your personal opinion or a rumour with BA? They would certainly be welcome as they are so much nicer than the tired old 747s.

I guess it is only a matter of time before a large 777/A350 is announced to replace the old 747-400 and 777-200s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls